Our hair tutorial this week (and our first Halloween Hairstyle of the season) is inspired by a fun style we saw on Disney's new show "Descendants" which was worn by "Evie" ie Sofia Carson.
In the original style, Evie is wearing a blue/purple woven or braided headpiece (which sort of resembles a crown or tiara) sitting atop her classic dark blue hair. We wanted to create a DIY of something similar, as well as something simple and inexpensive for anyone who is planning on dressing up as Evie for Halloween... or for anyone else just because it's a cute style!
Descendants "Evie" Hairstyle Video Tutorial: (Click here to watch the video directly on YouTube.)
P.S. If you are wanting to make some curls or waves to go with your headpiece (like Evie is wearing) feel free to watch our curling wand tutorial.
As shown in our video tutorial (above) we braided our headpiece right into "the Princess's" hair. This is not actually necessary. If your hair is too short, or if you would rather make the headpiece on its own and bobby pin it into place, you definitely can. We just thought it would be a fun way to keep the headpiece in place without having to use bobby pins or clips and worry about it falling out while trick-or-treating!
You may have noticed in our photos and video that we are showing 2 different ways to finish this style. Depending on your personal preference, you can either leave the braids sitting on top of the hair (as shown above) or you can drape some hair over the back/center of the headpiece to hide the elastic and give the hairstyle more of an authentic look to the original style (shown below.)
Supplies needed to recreate this look:
- Ribbon: We found the 2 rolls of ribbon shown in our tutorial at our local craft store in the discount bin for 50 cents each. You can really use any ribbon you want, but I would suggest finding some that is around 1/2 inch thick to easily create the "point" in the front of the headpiece. We used around 3 feet of each roll.
- If you have beads, you could thread the beads onto the ribbon and randomly add them throughout the braid for added bling and sparkle.
- If you really want to make this hairstyle authentic, you could actually dye or spray your hair dark blue! Or you could look for a blue wig, which would be less messy. ;)
- Curling iron/wand or other curling method if you are wanting curls.
- 1 medium/clear elastic.
- Finishing hair spray (optional)
- Hot glue gun