We are continuing on with our "Halloween Hairstyles series" this week with a fun Queen Elinor inspired ribbon wrapped ponytail (as seen in the Disney movie "Brave" on Merida's mother.)
We noticed Queen Elinor actually wears 2 variations of this hairstyle in the movie; The first, as a single ponytail (which we chose for our tutorial today.) And the other is basically the same concept, only doubled up in 2 ribbon ponytails (or pigtails) laying side by side. I think both styles are gorgeous and perfect to go with a variety of medieval, princess, queen or royal costumes.
We are loving the effortless look of this ponytail and would actually consider wearing it on regular occasions (such as school) and not just for dressing up.
Depending on the thickness of your hair, you may want to tease it slightly to add more volume... or you can choose to skip that step and leave it "as is." We love the "bubbled" look of the ponytail, which was made by stretching the hair between the ribbon (shown in our video tutorial below.) But, this step can also be skipped if you prefer your ponytail to lay more straight and sleek.
Queen Elinor Hairstyle Video Tutorial: (Click here to watch the video directly on YouTube.)
Supplies needed to recreate this style:
- 1 ponytail holder or large elastic.
- 1 medium, clear elastic or small ponytail holder.
- We chose some gold ribbon for wrapping around our ponytail. You can use whatever you have on hand (leather, yarn, rope, ribbon, etc.)
- We also added a gold braided headband accessory to accent the style. Queen Elinor of course was wearing a gold crown if you really want your costume to be authentic. ;)
- An Elinor costume to go with your hairstyle (optional of course.) We found the dress shown in our photos at a local store in the Halloween section.... and it wasn't actually meant to be a Queen Elinor costume.